Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang's process not killed by exit signalreasoned by "kill"

Yan Yan yan.beijing.china@REDACTED
Sat Oct 24 18:00:27 CEST 2009

Thanks, Richard

In fact, I had a very similiar thought with yours as I found b killed when b is not a system process but b not killed when b is a system process.

However, even if exit(kill) acts the same as exit(self(), kill) does, there seems to be problems left. For example, if, in this setup, c does want ALL linked processes to be killed when c itself exits abnormally, we will want a simple code in c() just like exit(kill). In this way, we want all processes linked to c will be killed because of c's exit, even if there were any system processes among c's linked processes. Currently, if we write exit(kill) or exit(self(), kill) in c(), only c and c's linked non-system processes will be killed, but all system processed linked will survive, which is not correct.

So far, there seems to be no other ways to let it happen correctly except:

Code:

c(......) ->
blabla...

%% P1, P2, ..., Pn are linked SYSTEM processes
exit(P1, kill),
exit(P2, kill),
exit(Pn, kill),

%%Here c is still alive, and we want c and its linked non-system processes also killed, so...
exit(kill). %% or exit(self(), kill), or exit(anything)..

End code.

However, it still demands that programmers know ahead of time how many and which system processes are linked to c, which is not a good design pattern.

Sincerely,

Yan Yan

Yan Yan
2009-10-24