[erlang-questions] Installing R13B02-1: Questions on curses and gcc

Michael McDaniel erlangy@REDACTED
Sat Oct 24 01:17:05 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 11:39:46PM +0200, Roger Price wrote:
> Hi, Sorry if these are FAQs. I am trying to install R13B02-1 on opensuse
> 11.0.
>
> The following curses libraries are installed
> # locate ncurses
> /lib/libncurses.so.5
> /lib/libncurses.so.5.6
> /lib/libncursesw.so.5
> /lib/libncursesw.so.5.6
> /lib64/libncurses.so.5
> /lib64/libncurses.so.5.6
> /lib64/libncursesw.so.5
> /lib64/libncursesw.so.5.6
>
> but when I try to configure with the command
>
>    script -c "./configure" configure.log
>
> the log ends with checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... no
> checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
> checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
> checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
> configure: error: No curses library functions found
>
> Question 1: Which curses library do I need for R13B02-1?
>
> I tried configuring without termcap:
>
>    script -c "./configure --without-termcap" configure.log
>
> but now the log ends:
>
> checking size of long long... 8
> checking if we should add -fno-tree-copyrename to CFLAGS for computed
> gotos to work properly... yes
> checking for broken gcc-4.3.0 compiler... yes
> configure: error: This gcc miscompiles the Erlang runtime system;
>                   please use a different version
>
> The README says "gcc-4.3.0 has a serious optimizer bug. It produces an
> Erlang emulator that will crash immediately. The bug is supposed to be
> fixed in gcc-4.3.1."
>
> My gcc is at version 4.3.1:
>
> # gcc --version
> gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036]
>
> Question2: Which gcc do I need to compile R13B02-1?
>
> Roger

 Perhaps you need to install libncurses5-dev

 Don't know about which gcc is required for R13B02-1 but
 for R13B01 I used

   $ gcc --version
   gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

 and it worked fine.