[erlang-questions] is inet:gethostbyname( IP ) correct?

Fri Oct 23 15:56:03 CEST 2009

After a week of bug hunting we can confirm this is really
Microsoft's bug, but we have a workaround.
(It may be Microsoft's and Comodo's bug, who knows...)

It turns out if you mix overlapped I/O with non-overlapped
(asyncronous with syncronous) on different pipes, in this
case the pipe to inet_gethost.exe from erlang was opened
by erlang as non-overlapped and inet_gethost.exe itself
used overlapped on all its other sockets and pipes...

...alright if you mix ... I/O something gets not initialized
in Microsoft's libs unless you do a gethostname() call
before going into recv() of commands from erlang (we already
found this out the hard way) but now also if you had certain
firewalls installed it was not enough, you had to do
gethostbyname() calls with longer domain names to
work around Microsoft's bug.

Since this felt like a way to shaky workaround we found
another that seems much better: now erlang can open the
pipe to this specific port program (inet_gethost.exe)
for overlapped I/O so inet_gethost.exe now uses overlapped
I/O only. This seems to avoid the bug.

We reproduced the name lookup freeze with Comodo 2.4.19.185
and Microsoft's Client for ISA Server 4.0. Here is
a snapshot build (without documentation) that
does not freeze for neither of these firewalls.

http://www.erlang.org/download/snapshots/otp_win32_R13B03_gethost_fix.exe

Try it and see if it solves your problem.

/ Raimo Niskanen