[erlang-questions] No Namespace for Macros

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Oct 16 00:42:09 CEST 2009

Erlang macros are modeled directly on C macros, the version based on tokens
and not on text. And as do C macros Erlang macros only exist within a
preprocessor, they have no life of their own outside that. In this sense
they are not like functions or variables from other languages.

It is important to realise that an include file does not have a life of its
own, it only exists within the file which includes it. So anything defined
in it becomes part of the including file and in this respect it is perfectly
logical that there is only one namespace.

Anyway that is the reasoning behind the way they are.

Robert