Huge binary usage

Yogish Baliga <>
Fri Oct 9 00:32:17 CEST 2009

I have a erlang process which is running at 376MB Resident memory. erlang:memory() shows the following output.

Seems like most of the memory is used  by "binary".

Along with this, I did a sum of total memory used by all the processes running on the system. It comes to around 53MB (which is same as what is reported in processes_used).

Question is how can I find what process(es) allocated the binaries and why they are not released?

-- baliga
"Point of view is worth 80 IQ points" --Alan Kay