[erlang-questions] trading systems

Jayson Vantuyl kagato@REDACTED
Thu Oct 1 21:04:13 CEST 2009

In trading systems, timing is everything.

Basically, you are writing code that eventually figures into executing
trades (sometimes automatically).  In the automatic systems, you are
literally racing other systems.  This particular race is so
competitive (and lucrative) that companies build datacenters closer to
the trading house just so that they have less latency.  It is not
unheard of to even tweak the communications timing on their uplinks,
use fibre just to shave off a few ms, or even embed assembly code.

In extreme cases, people have systems that watch for large buys /
sells, predict the follow-on effect it will have on the market, and
try to wedge in their own order to capitalize on the inevitable (but
lagging) price shifts.  In any other industry, this level of
optimization would be well into the "diminishing returns" area.
However, financial markets operate at a big enough scale this sort of
thing is still quite profitable.