[erlang-questions] Switching between http/non-http depending of first byte

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Thu Oct 1 10:56:13 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Rapsey <rapsey@REDACTED> wrote:
> I've thought about the same thing for my streaming server. But I didn't
> decide to do it that way.
> Are you sure you want to put RTMP and HTTP on port 80? It means you'll be
> running your Erlang server as root, which is not exactly safe. It also means
> load balancers/reverse proxies, software or hardware based are not going to
> work.

No, I need just an ad-hoc solution for streaming server to tell via
its http interface about
its contents. I.e.  GET http://erlyvideo.maxidoors.ru/videos.xml  will
be rewritten via nginx
to GET http://erlyvideo.maxidoors.ru:1935/videos.xml

> This is why RTMPT was invented (http tunneling for RTMP).

RTMPT is quite another thing (and if possible, we try to avoid it). I
need not to tunnel
streaming in HTTP.

> Also do you need a full blown web server like yaws or mochiweb? It may be
> easier to just implement the HTTP features you need manually. It's pretty
> easy to do in Erlang and It's what I did.

But I think, it will be easier not to damage my brains and just take
next port =)

BTW: Your server is opensource or private one? My repository of
erlyvideo is on http://github.com/maxlapshin/erlyvideo