Message protocol vs. Function call API

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Thu Oct 1 04:52:42 CEST 2009

This came up on a different thread, but I believe it is an interesting
subject on its own.

On Sep 30, 2009, at 9:36 PM, Robert Virding wrote:

> P.S. One long, never-resolved discussion Joe and I had for many
> years was whether you should have an API like is done in gen_XXX or
> to explicitly specify the message protocol. Having the message
> protocol would allow you to increase concurrency.

I've been mulling this question myself lately. Besides increased
concurrency, a message protocol would also allow for other nifty
things, like versioning. Function calls make synchronous APIs easier.
So I was wondering what folks on this list think... besides the
obvious "it depends on the situation".

Mihai