[erlang-questions] \bclarify: Exception on erlsom:write_xsd_hrl_file for XMLSchema

Willem de Jong w.a.de.jong@REDACTED
Thu May 21 16:06:56 CEST 2009

Hello Mike,

If I understand correctly, most of your tests are using a WSDL file as input
for the erlsom:write_xsd_hrl_file() function. That doesn't work, because
this function expects an XSD as its input.

If you want to create a .hrl file from a WSDL file, you can try the function
erlsoap_lib:write_hrl(Url, Target). When I tried this, it worked for the
weather forecast example. It didn't work for the Foreclosures example,
because the URL didn't return a WSDL. It also didn't work for the SEMP
example, because the WSDL contains an empty <extension /> tag, which is
illegal (if I understand the XML Schema spec correctly).

I have to say that you are likely to meet with some challenges it you try to
use erlsoap. Not because of erlsom, but rather because erlsoap is not really
ready. I think many people would welcome proper support for SOAP in Erlang,
but it looks like nobody is willing to do the work. Possibly because the
people who are willing and able to do open source software development
dislike SOAP (who can blame them...), and the ones that are more or less
forced to use SOAP don't have the time to do the work.

Regards,
Willem