[erlang-questions] open project ideas (was Standard modern salary for an Erlang programmer?)

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Fri Mar 27 02:58:43 CET 2009

I've been thinking for the we should keep a public list of project that
we would be interested in seeing done in Erlang.

Some examples I've been thinking of,

* wiki
* CMS
* ticketing system similar to request tracker (aka rt)
* anti spam tools. Can never have enough good anti-spam tools these days.
* a module for handling configuration files and reloading them. I was
going to ask about this in a seperate email as I keep stumbling at this
point was wondering how others handle this.
* Tool for intergration with sysv init.d script, debian and redhat
package building and management, in short tools to integrate with the OS
more fully
* continuing the last point: interface to sytem calls. eg, my own
erlang_inotify, or a port/module for iptables. just imagine being about
to point to a home gateways/routers and  being able to say you wrote
some of the code that runs on that.
* protocol implementations
* secure messaging for Erlang messages
* hardened Erlang (wonder what this would look like).
* anything mentioned about 5 times that no-one ever seem to get around
to doing :-)

There are many others. Now most of these aren't something to build a
start-up around, but these will develope your erlang skills and build
your reputation as a reliable and serious Erlang developer which in turn
will help you land the next erlang job you see and command a higher
salary. It will also help Erlangs wider adoption.

One final point: if you publish a clean API to some of these project, eg
the CMS and ticketing system, it would then be a trival matter for the
person or team deploying to seemlessly integrate two or more project as
subsystems to a larger system even if these subsystem run on different
nodes. To continue the CMS/ticketing integration example, if your
company had a policy policy to review any wiki edits you could trigger
the creation of a ticket fro the task with out going via some other
system which is not well suited to the task, eg email.

Jeff.