[erlang-questions] Standard modern salary for an Erlang programmer?

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Thu Mar 26 04:47:21 CET 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 6:45 PM, Richard O'Keefe wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2009, at 3:22 am, G.S. wrote:
>> What's a standard, good average salary for the Erlang programmer
>> with a few years of experience, based in USA?
>> Java is 70-90k,
>
> Wow.  That's about double what I make as a university lecturer.

No one has ever claimed that teaching at university was the road to
riches.  FWIW, I was offered about double that recently for a Java
position, but in an industry and for a company which made the money
not worth it for me. (Oh, and, ugh, Java)

>> and I read online that since us Erlangers, being a less known, and
>> essential for writing software that scales, and will scale into the
>> future, is much higher. I seem to find various blogs that state the
>> salary in 2008 was anywhere from 99k to 180k.

 From what I can tell, salary depends much less on the programming
language, and much more on the programmer and the company.  Some
programmers will never be worth that much to any company.  Some
companies will never be able to afford to pay that much to any
programmer.  Also, networking and contacts matter a lot.  You are
likely worth more to people who know you already than to people who
only have a couple hours of interactions on which to judge you.

-kevin