[erlang-questions] Hang making https request

Rob Charlton rob.charlton@REDACTED
Tue Mar 17 17:56:45 CET 2009

I have been using Erlang R11B for some time, but thought it was about
time I moved up to R12B, so I pulled down the latest today and built it.

Afterwards, I found that I could no longer make HTTPS requests:

rob@REDACTED:~/work/erlang/svn/erlang/lcr$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.5 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
[kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.6.5  (abort with ^G)
1> inets:start().
ok
2> http:request("https://www.cia.gov/").

The shell is now unresponsive and I have to do a CTRL C to get it back.

I noticed that I had to now explicitly start inets (which used to start
automatically) because an error message appeared when I did an http
request without it started. What I didn't realise was that I also had to
explicitly start the ssl application. I managed to work this out by
using tracing on the http call. It won't catch me again, but will
probably catch someone else. Would it be possible to make it do
something more friendly than just hang?

--
Rob Charlton
Savage Minds Ltd