[erlang-questions] erlang:trace: "bus error" and "failed to lock mutex".

Cayle Spandon cayle.spandon@REDACTED
Wed Mar 11 02:38:20 CET 2009

I was experimenting with erlang:trace and ran into some unexpected behavior.
I got a "bus error" and a "failed to lock mutex".

I have never used trace and I really don't (yet) know how it works, so maybe
what I did does not make any sense. But still, it seems that Erlang crashing
with a "bus error" or a "failed to lock mutex" is not the appropriate
response no matter what I do.

~> erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.1 [source] [smp:2] [async-threads:0]
[kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.6.1  (abort with ^G)
1>
1>
1> erlang:trace(all,true,[all]).
Bus error

~> erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.1 [source] [smp:2] [async-threads:0]
[kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.6.1  (abort with ^G)
1> erlang:trace(new,true,[all]).
0
2> Failed to lock mutex: Invalid argument (22)
Abort trap