[erlang-questions] scanning a hrl file, for macros.

fess fess-erlang@REDACTED
Thu Mar 5 23:14:09 CET 2009

I have an hrl file with a bunch of macro's in it that are just a bunch
of strings.  [ The names of query vars used in urls ]  I'd like to
generate a javascript file from this which has the same mappings.  I
could simply write a function that explicitly uses each of the macros
and outputs the javascript.  [ which is what I'm doing. ] However It
would be nice just to have the list in one place. So, I tried to
erl_scan/erl_parse it.

erl_scan returns tokens which includes the defines. I could go on from
there and manually parse the defines. However, I thought that if I got
a parsed form it would be easier to pick out the macros.

so I moved on to erl_parse, however, I get errors with
erl_parse:parse_form and erl_parse:parse_exprs, [ {1,erl_parse,"bad
attribute"}, and {2,erl_parse,["syntax error before: ",["'-'"]]}
respectively ], the file when included compiles so I'm guessing it's
not an actual syntax problem.

My tokens look like this:

[{'-',1},
  {atom,1,ifndef},
  {'(',1},
  {var,1,'MYHRL_HRL'},
  {')',1},
  {dot,1},
  {'-',2},
  {atom,2,define},
  {'(',2},
  {var,2,'MYHRL_HRL'},
  {',',2},
  {atom,2,true},
  {')',2},
  {dot,2},
  ... ]

So, then I thought, ok,  maybe erl_parse needs this stuff to be pre
processed?  Next I tried out epp:parse_file/3 on it
but that seemed to me to expect to apply macros,  not necessarily show
you that they were there.

So, clearly I'm not getting things here.   Any pointers would be
appreciated.

--fess