[erlang-questions] open_pipe({spawn, "cat"}) --- how to close stdin of cat?

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Sun Mar 1 11:18:14 CET 2009

You normally never try to close stdin on the port.  You can close stdin
on the port by calling erlang:port_close/1 but you won't be able to
receive on the port after you close it.  You should be able to use a
read within the port program that does not depend on eof to terminate
the data (see http://erlang.org/doc/tutorial/part_frame.html by the
Ports section).

The documentation for erlang:open_port/2 is at
http://erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html .  The system commands without a
module name are within the erlang module.  Consider using
erlang:port_command/2 rather than using ! directly, for better behavior.

- Michael