[erlang-questions] erlang flagship product

CHAITANYA CHALASANI chaitanya.chalasani@REDACTED
Sun Mar 1 02:44:23 CET 2009

In this contest, we have a telecom VAS solution for prepaid roaming
which is built in Erlang. The product was developed by not more than 3
developers at any phase (development, sustain engineering, upgrades).
The product is the technology enabler for the "One Network - the first
borderless roaming solution that spawns across more than 18 countries
in Africa and Middle east". A very successful product in use since
last 5 years.

Its sheer parallel processing and hot code loading capability that
makes us have a buying from the management.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Richard Andrews <bbmaj7@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>>> That said, I wouldn't mind other solid examples either. There are, of course,
>>> successful projects and companies,
>
> So what do you mean by successful ??
>
> Does successful "made $$$" using Erlang?
> Does it mean "delivered on time" using Erlang?
> Does it mean they have a big 100 man project using Erlang
> Does it mean the project had thousands of lines of code and no errors?
>
> etc.
>
> If you mean $'s then at what value do you call something a success?
>
> We have loads of "successes" measured on these different scales -
> brilliant work done by
> small groups (ejabberd was a one-man project) - if you're looking for
> the BIG projects
> you won't find many because you don't need many Erlang programmers to
> do a lot of
> stuff.
>
> So a measure of success might even be "required very few programmers"
> - but if this were the
> case the success would not get much publicity.
>
> We have all these couchDB's and ejabberds and  scalaris and yaws and
> rabbit MQ all done by
> small groups.
>
> Most successful projects are "do something" ... "get lucky" - we can
> control the "do something" bit
> but the rest is out of our control - if we get lots of people doing
> Erlang then the probabily than
> we can demonstrat esuccessful projects  should increase
>
>>>  but not as easy to reference. If you just
>>> want a well-known, respected product/project to point at, how about ejabberd?
>>
>> Good example.
>> It's medium size. Solid. Reasonably well known in software circles.
>>
>> IMO to get more people into FP we need to show its applicability to small to medium sized projects (like ejabberd). Most projects start off with modest ambitions.
>>
>> More examples?
>
> http://www.onscale.eu/scalaris.html
>
> Little know - prizewinning - brilliant - widely applicable - if every
> erlang user put a scalaris node
> on their machine we could build amazing systems!
>
> /Joe Armstrong
>

>>      Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox

Chaitanya Chalasani
Linux User: 410931