how many messages should arrive using http:request with {self,once}?

Adam Kocoloski adam.kocoloski@REDACTED
Thu Jun 11 21:55:08 CEST 2009

Hi, on reading the http man page I figured that a request of the form

http:request(get, {"http://google.com",[]}, [], [{stream,
{self,once}}, {sync,false}]).

would leave me with one {http, {Ref,stream_start,[Headers],Pid}}
message in my mailbox, and that I'd call

http:stream_next(Pid)

repeatedly to get the rest of the response.  Instead I get a bunch of
{http, _} messages immediately -- a stream_start, 2 streams, and a
stream_end (in the case of google.com).  Did I misread the man page?
Is the threshold at which I have to call stream_next(Pid) actually
larger than a single message?  At the moment the only difference
between {stream, self} and {stream, {self,once}} that I see is the
extra Pid in the messages (which I don't use).  Best,

Adam