[erlang-questions] Slow UTP packets

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Fri Jul 31 05:02:42 CEST 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Ovidiu Deac wrote:

> But what is the explanation for the fact that the output slows during
> runtime? Is it a bug?

One possible explanation would be accumulation of messages in your
receiving process' mailbox.
If you cannot consume messages as fast as they arrive, they will build
up in your mailbox and slow down the process.

Due to the way the mailbox is implemented, it cannot cope well with
massive numbers of messages. I don't remember the details, but I
believe it has to do with using O(n) algorithms. Maybe somebody in the
know can provide more details.

Mihai