Any HTTP 1.0 clients out there?

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Thu Jul 30 14:54:11 CEST 2009

A final followup and closure on this question for anyone following
this thread.

On Jul 30, 2:06 am, Steve Davis <steven.charles.da...@REDACTED>
wrote:
> So... Ugh.I have not been able to find any reason *why* 1.0 is used by
> Nginx, and it seems like a purely arbitrary design decision.

Talking to the NginX developers, I have clarified a couple of things:

1) HTTP/1.0 is in use by proxies, some mobile clients, and IE when
configured to use a proxy. So 1.0 appears to still account for a non-
trivial % of traffic on the web overall.
2) The NginX guys do not think that proxying via 1.0 will have a
significant performance impact unless the backend is extremely quick.
3) HTTP/1.1 support for upstream is in the works at NginX in any case,
with the motivation of coping with these superfast backends.

So it sesms that the answer to my OP is "Yes, there are many 1.0
clients still out there", and it's not the dead protocol that I
thought it was at all. Hence, I'm going to be fully correct and abide
by the HTTP spec, and keep the support for HTTP/1.0.

/sd