[erlang-questions] New IRC Channel: #erlang-otp

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Thu Jul 30 00:16:05 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Kevin A.
Smith<kevin@REDACTED> wrote:
> The problem is a social one, I think. There are a few people on #erlang who
> come across as pretty hostile, especially to newbies. I personal know of at
> least 8 experienced Erlangers who avoid the channel because of the
> environment there. There's no clear op on the channel so no real ability to
> fix the issue, at least as far as I can tell.

I don't know freenode's policies but I think we can fix the issues
if someone with an @erlang.org/@erix.ericsson address contacts the
freenode admins/ops.

BTW, do you have any plans how to keep the climate in the new
channel healthy besides banning/kicking?

> Me and a few others decided that creating a new channel was the only way to
> route around the problem. Our hope is that the channel will provide a more
> friendly IRC face for the community and give people a place to hang out and
> exchange ideas and get help.

The pragmatic approach might be the right thing to do at the moment :).