[erlang-questions] Ports used by Erlang OTP

Peter Sabaini peter@REDACTED
Wed Jul 29 22:02:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 10:55 -0400, Jacek Furmankiewicz wrote:
> Are there default values that we cal rely on to be consistent, or should we
> always specify it explicitly.

AFAIK distributed Erlang VMs use random highports by default

> Are there any port ranges that are recommended (i.e. I know below 1024
> usually requires root access, etc.)

No recommendation I know of. The extent of the range also depends on how
many distributed nodes you plan on connecting (every node will then hold
a connection to every other node which could require quite a bit of
ports; N*(N-1)/2 ports to be precise).