[erlang-questions] Nested for-loops, there has to be a better way to do this

Cláudio Amaral coa@REDACTED
Wed Jul 29 18:25:26 CEST 2009

Used some of previous code...

I tried to make a polymorphic function and coupled an example... this
ended a little bit confusing, but as you can see, it makes all
iterations (check the printed indexes, reversed).

The body behaviour is the tricky stuff to code, but in exchange it is
modular...

Since I am an erlang newb, please correct anything you see as bad
programming

Cláudio

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
-module(for_loop).

-export([for/4, show/0]).

for(BodyFunc, BodyArgs, StepFunc, {First, Last}) ->
    for_(BodyFunc, BodyArgs, StepFunc, {First, Last}, First).

for_(BodyFunc, BodyArgs, StepFunc, {_, LastTerm}, LastTerm) ->
    BodyFunc(BodyArgs, LastTerm);
for_(BodyFunc, BodyArgs, StepFunc, LimitsTuple, IndexTerm) ->
    NextArgs = BodyFunc(BodyArgs, IndexTerm),
    for_(BodyFunc, NextArgs, StepFunc, LimitsTuple, StepFunc(IndexTerm)).

show() ->
    for( fun(A1,A2)->body1(A1,A2) end,
     [{0,3}, [{1,0}], [{3,6},{1,2}]],
     fun(I) -> I+1 end,
     {0,3}
    ).

body1([ LimitsTuple, [{NLoop,II}|Rest], []],I) ->
    print([ I | lists:map(fun({_,Snd}) -> Snd end, Rest) ]),
    IndexInfo = [{NLoop,II}|Rest],
    [ LimitsTuple, IndexInfo, []];
body1([ LimitsTuple, [{NLoop,II}|Rest], [{X1,Xn}|XS]],I) ->
    for( fun (A1,A2)->body1(A1,A2) end,
     [ LimitsTuple, [ {NLoop+1,II}, {NLoop,I} | Rest ], XS],
     fun(K) -> K+1 end,
     {X1,Xn}
    ),
    IndexInfo = [{NLoop,II}|Rest],
    [ LimitsTuple, IndexInfo, [{X1,Xn}|XS] ].

print(Numbers) ->
    io:format("indexes ~p~n", [Numbers]).