[erlang-questions] Re: Learn you some Erlang for great good!

Fred Hebert (MononcQc) mononcqc@REDACTED
Wed Jul 29 05:44:11 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Yves S. Garret <yoursurrogategod@REDACTED
> wrote:

> Just a thought:
> As long as you clearly state on your website that the below info
> should not be considered reliable until said so otherwise, there
> shouldn't be a problem with having everyone on the net look at it and
> give you feedback.
>
> On Jul 28, 1:03 pm, "Fred Hebert (MononcQc)" <monon...@REDACTED>
> wrote:
> > Some of the readers of this list may be familiar withhttp://
> learnyouahaskell.com/, an online book/tutorial dedicated to teaching
> > Haskell in a lighthearted way.
> > I've always thought Erlang had a steep learning curve unless you decide
> > pay for books (the few of them are excellent, though). A good while ago,
> > took time to discuss with the author of Learn You a Haskell and I decided
> > start a version specifically for Erlang with his agreement. The
> objectives
> > are pretty much the same (lighthearted tutorials for beginners, free of
> > charge) and so is the concept.
> > I've written a few chapters already (Introduction, how to install, basic
> > shell commands, some of the basic data types) and although the text is
> still
> > very short, I've got a website up and running.
> > I'm looking for a few people with different levels of knowledge of Erlang
> in
> > order to review the first chapters. I'm looking to validate:  a. the
> > accessibility of information; b. if the information is right; c. gather
> > comments and criticism. I find it important to do a first review early in
> > the writing in order to fix flaws or improve on parts of the writing
> before
> > having to change too much stuff.
> > If you feel like giving me a helping hand in making the first chapters as
> > good as possible through your reviews, just send me an email back. I'll
> > forward the URL and user/password needed to see the info (I'm protecting
> > everything until reviewed, in order not to broadcast false or
> inappropriate
> > information).
> > Of course, once the first chapters are pushed in production, I'll keep
> > writing and might ask for some more help, if you don't mind the
> occasional
> > email.
> > Thanks in advance.

> erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

A similar notice is actually written in the dev version of the site (which I
plan on making widely public instead of password protected after the first
few chapters are published). The main page will acknowledge the possibility
of having mistakes and asking people to tell me if they find any for the
production version.

However, I intend for the first chapters released to be spotless; If the
tutorial is linked to other sites while it contains broken code, spelling or
grammar mistakes and/or plainly wrong information, it is  more than likely
to gain a bad reputation that will never go away.

I'm aiming for a good first impression to start on solid bases, then I'm
going to relax and make things more open afterwards.