[erlang-questions] erl_tidy options

Dale Harvey harveyd@REDACTED
Fri Jul 24 21:27:00 CEST 2009

2009/7/24 Cláudio Amaral <coa@REDACTED>

> Hi all!
>
> I am exploring the syntax tools provided by Erlang and I can't see the real
> purpose of erl_tidy and I can't understand the purpose of the options.
>
> For example, what is the gain of the transformation at the end of the
> compiling process?
> Ex - {auto_export_vars, true} option
> {X, Y} = case ... of
>                    ... -> {17, foo()};
>                    ... -> {42, bar()}
>              end

> case ... of
>      ... -> X = 17, Y = foo(), {X, Y};
>      ... -> X = 42, Y = bar(), {X, Y}
> end

That I dont like, in fact I almost wish erlang didnt allow
exporting variables from case, its almost always less
readable imo

> Or the option {auto_list_comp, true}, rewriting calls to lists:map/2 and
> lists:filter/2 to list comprehensions.

This I do agree with though, list comprehensions are almost
always shorter and more readable than map and filter

lists:filter(fun(X) when X rem 2 =:= 0 -> true; (_) -> false end,
lists:seq(0,10)).

vs

[ X || X <- lists:seq(0, 10), X rem 2 =:= 0 ].

I dont think I have seen any case for map / filter that are more readables
than list comprehensions(once you get over the initial scare of the list
comprehension syntax).