[erlang-questions] lists:append performance

Valentin Micic v@REDACTED
Fri Jul 24 14:47:04 CEST 2009

No, lists:reverse/1 is never executed. The goal was to see how slower
lists:append/2 is. The code looks like indicated below:

-module( benchmarks ).

% --------------------
% List of 240 elements
% --------------------
-define ( L240,  [ "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog",
                   "The quick brown fox jumps over a lzay dog",
                   "The quick brown fox jumps over a lzay dog"] ).

export( [
                split_test/1           % split_test( Count ),
                ,reverse_test/1        % reverse_test( Count )
                ,insert/1              % insert( Count )
                ,append/1              % append( Count )
         ] ).

insert( 0 ) -> ok;
insert( Count )
->
   _L = ["1"|?L240],
   isert( Count - 1 )
.

append( 0 ) -> ok;
append( Count )
->
    _ = lists:append( ?L240, ["1"] ),
    append( Count - 1 )
.

I've tried to measure how long it takes to execute a single operation. Did
it using a substantial number of operations (Count=1000000000) so it can be
measured.

V.