[erlang-questions] The is_record() guard

Oscar Hellström oscar@REDACTED
Thu Jul 23 19:35:15 CEST 2009

Hi Steve,

You could also do it this way:

transform(#rec_a{} = R) -> ... ;
transform(#rec_b{} = R) -> ... ;

IIRC there will indeed be a performance hit when using guards instead of
pattern matchings in the function head. Not sure if this is still the
case, or if my benchmarks were sufficient though. The situation then was
something like:
normalize(Char) when Char < 10 -> ...
normalize(Char) when Char > 13, Char < ... -> ...

Putting the values explicitly in the function head gave more code, but
better performance. Not that it mattered in the end though but useless
optimizations are very common...