[erlang-questions] Any message queue model in Erlang when doing Comet chat?

Peter Mechlenborg peter.mechlenborg@REDACTED
Wed Jul 22 14:18:32 CEST 2009

Hi

Do you have messages in a chat room persisted on the server (in MySQL) ?  If
so then I think what you are doing are fine.  Every time a client connects
it says: "give me all messages newer than time T" and if such messages exist
the server delivers them to the client, otherwise it just holds the
connection until the next message arrives or the 10 sec. time out occurs.

What are your requirements for fault tolerance?  Do you actually need to
persist the chat rooms, or would it be ok to just hold them in RAM in the
server?  Maybe you can just cache the last few messages for each chat room
in RAM, that way you would only need to touch the DB when a new client
connects to a given room (maybe a DB can do that for you, I'm no DB expert).
 Maybe flat files would scale better than a RMDB?

Have fun,

  --  Peter