Mnesia local_content tables as transaction manager?

Jim McCoy jim.mccoy@REDACTED
Wed Jul 22 07:19:58 CEST 2009

I want to perform some transactions over processes (but will handle
persistence via another channel) such that if process A and B are on
the same node I can be certain that once a "transaction function"
returns successfully both A and B have had the specified state
transformation applied to them.  Ideally this would also work if A and
B were on different nodes, but I am content to move them both to the
same node to perform the transaction.  Is this something that mnesia
local_content tables would be suitable for?  Would
mnesia/local_content be overkill for this task? Am I better off
looking at another tool or example for this task?

I guess what I am basically looking for is a distributed transaction
manager and I am hoping that there might be some part of mnesia or
other built-in facility that can be re-tasked for this purpose.  Any
thoughts?

jim