how to build erlang system that accesses external resources

paweł kamiński kamiseq@REDACTED
Tue Jul 21 16:06:58 CEST 2009

hi all,
I have a working system written in delphi (and Im not a delphi expert and it
wasnt my idea :)) that creates few threads (like 10-20) and each thread is
able to load some dll and then through that dll is performing some action on
local db or on other resource. the problem is that it is very hard now to
controll  threads, force them to kill etc and as I can see operating system
is not helping at all so it is a p.i.t.a. so I was thinking to port the
system into erlang. but we produced a lot of those dlls so it will be almost
impossible to rewrite them into erlang once again.

So (as Im quite new to erlang) I imagine that I create a erlang's system
that starts and manages processes with ease but then I somehow need to load
dll by some external system proccess and talk with it through ports. so it
seems to me Im back where I started, doesnt it? again I cant have only one
proccess for all dll loaded on the OS side, and I really cant figure out how
I should plan everything.

I havent read much about ports so maybe I should go through the chapter
again, if so just tell me it is a good direction here.

pozdrawiam
Paweł Kamiński

kamiseq@REDACTED
pkaminski.prv@REDACTED