[erlang-questions] Any message queue model in Erlang when doing Comet chat?

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Tue Jul 21 12:40:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:12, Zhuguo Shi<blueflycn@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am doing Comet chat with Erlang. But when I send message using "Pid !
> Msg", some of messages will lost, especially in a high sending frequency. So
> I wonder if there is any message queue model or data structure, or any way
> to solve this problem?
>
> Any suggestion is of great appreciation~
>
> Thanks

According to my experience this should not happen. To back this up -
Erlang Reference Manual [1] states that:

"Message sending is asynchronous and safe, the message is guaranteed
to eventually reach the recipient, provided that the recipient
exists."

Basically if process model in your application is properly constructed
and maintained (i.e. you never send a message to non-existing process)
you should not experience message loss.

1: http://erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/processes.html#10.5

Best,
Gleb Peregud