[erlang-questions] Re: Unicast 20k messages, $500-$1000 bounty

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Fri Jul 17 13:46:19 CEST 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Jim Morris wrote:

>> No middleman then?
>
> I think you are really asking for trouble, or at least a not very
> robust server, if you go that route.
>
> It is Socket programming 101 that writes can block when the TCP
> receiver does not read and the flow control causes the TCP buffers to
> backup.

RabbitMQ 1.6 (bottom of rabbit_writer.erl) uses erlang:port_command
directly.

The premise is that selective receive of inet_reply messages in
gen_tcp:send can be very slow when the sender's message queue is large.

---
Mac hacker with a performance bent
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont