[erlang-questions] Cannot find erl.exe on Linux Mint

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Wed Jul 15 12:43:01 CEST 2009

Carl McDade wrote:
> Tried .
>
> minty ~ # $PATH = $PATH:~/root/otp_src_R13B01/bin
> bash: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:
> No such file or directory
> minty ~ # PATH = $PATH:/root/otp_src_R13B01/bin
>
> Without any change. Is it just me? These commands work fine on Xandros
> but not on this Debian distro

Looks like you're unused to Unix or to shells in general. What happened
was that you gave the left hand side of the assignment as $PATH, instead
of just PATH, so the shell expanded the variable for you, hence the left
hand side of the '=' became "/usr/... ". A second problem was that you
left a space between PATH and the equals sign, so the shell did in fact
not interpret this as an assignment, but as a command (whatever $PATH
expanded to) whose first parameter was "=".

Writing PATH=$PATH:/root/otp... should do it.

    /Richard