[erlang-questions] 20k messages in 4s but want to go faster!

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Tue Jul 14 10:49:13 CEST 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:25 AM, Richard Carlsson wrote:

> It depends on the data and what you need to do with it. If each entry
> is rather large and you do a lot of retreival and/or insertion, you
> will
> spend a whole lot of time copying data between the process heap and
> the
> table (and cause more garbage collection as a consequence).

I map strings (binaries) to pids to keep track of who services what
topic.
I also map pids to refs returned by erlang:monitor to keep track of
topic
subscribers. I monitor subscribers to automatically unsubscribe them
when
they go down.

I'll be taking apart my server today to take out all the cruft and
rebuild it
as something that just pushes binaries around. This is just so that I
can get
some basic performance measures and, hopefully, pinpoint the bottleneck.

	Thanks, Joel

---
Mac hacker with a performance bent
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont