20k messages in 4s but want to go faster!

Jim Morris wolfmanjm@REDACTED
Mon Jul 13 09:58:15 CEST 2009

I think it is actually faster. My server uses a gen_fsm for each
socket/client connection. When I get a message that needs broadcasting/
unicasting to all the other clients, I get a list of all the PIDS of
the gen_fsm's, and send an erlang message to each of the pids, when
the 8,000 or so gen_fsm processes get that message they do a tcp send
to their client. That is getting the fastest throughput for me.

Also if you do a tcp send from different processes to the same socket
you will get contention, and no guaranteed order, just an FYI.
So in my system whenever one client needs to send a TCP message to
another client, it is always done through the clients FSM process.

The whole reason for me using Erlang was that I could do one process
per socket, as processes were so cheap.