[erlang-questions] 20k messages in 4s but want to go faster!

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Sun Jul 12 21:49:27 CEST 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Rapsey wrote:

> Well I have a similar problem with my streaming server. I suspect
> the main
> issue with using gen_tcp is that every gen_tcp:send call will
> involve a
> memory allocation and memcpy.

Why do you think so? I thought binaries over 64 bytes are not copied.

> My server needs to be able to fill up at least a gigabyte connection
> and
> this involves a very large number of gen_tcp:send calls. The only
> way I
> could achieve that number is by writing my own driver for data output.

Did you write your own driver already?

What kind of throughput were you getting with your old Erlang code?

> This means bypassing gen_tcp completely and writing the socket
> handling
> stuff by hand. Basically whenever I need to send the data, I loop
> through
> the array of sockets (and other information) and send from one
> single buffer
> (the sockets are non-blocking).

I'll take a closer look at the TCP driver but other Erlang internals I
looked at use iovecs and scatter-gather IO (writev, etc.).

---
Mac hacker with a performance bent
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont