[erlang-questions] 20k messages in 4s but want to go faster!

Matthew Sackman matthew@REDACTED
Fri Jul 10 21:45:05 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:40:07PM +0200, andrew mmc wrote:
> Yes, just in half each time.  If the input list is of length 1, send the
> message, otherwise spawn two processes for each half of the list.

Is spawning a process truly something that can happen in parallel? Are
there really no VM-wide locks or data structures that have to happen at
this point?

Also, I have to say, I wouldn't use a dict. Immutable data structures in
Erlang are _slow_ when compared to, eg, ets. OTOH, if you've timed the
fold and found it's only taking 0.2 secs, then that's clearly not the
problem here.

Matthew