[erlang-questions] Why doesn't ssh module start crypto module?

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Tue Jul 7 15:05:35 CEST 2009

Hello!

The 'applications' value shall list other applications that the
application depends on. If the required applicatios hans't been started an
error message is returned.

Why doesn't SSH start crypto? For example might other applications also
depend on crypto and the required type (permanent | transient | temporary)
may differ. Another reason is that many applications export specific start
functions (Mnesia, SSL, Orber etc) which in some cases require
configuration parameters. Typically these functions do more stuff than
just invoking application:start/1/2. Hence, you should use ssh:start/1/2
instead.

Also consider that if application A depends on that B is started. If B is
updated and require that application C i started prior to B. In that case
A must be patched so that it starts not only B but also C. I hope you see
my point why SSH shall not start Crypto ;-)

The short version, you must start the other applications in your code.

Best Regards,

Niclas @ Erlang/OTP