[erlang-questions] Four ways to start mnesia in OTP environment. Which one should one use?

Paul Mineiro paul-trapexit@REDACTED
Mon Jul 6 03:20:08 CEST 2009

I ended up going with #4, included application, on a large project and was
satisfied.  The mnesia bits were open sourced, you can check out
http://code.google.com/p/schemafinder/ for details.  The main reason for
going with included application was to be able to ensure that nodes were
joining the distributed schema in a reasonable state.

We also started our nodes with a shell script that checked all sorts of
preconditions before invoking erl.  That seems a fact of life to me under
all scenarios (e.g., where are you putting standard out and standard error
from the emulator?).

For a simpler hobby project I'm working on starting mnesia as an app has
been working fine, mnesia is really good about letting you do all sorts of
manipulations while it is running so letting it start on it's own is not
that limiting.

-- p