[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP on Vista 64bit

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Fri Jul 3 00:23:20 CEST 2009

Illo de' Illis writes:
 > G'dday folks.
 >
 > Is there anyone who's aware of glitches or bugs of Erlang/OTP on a
 > Vista/64bit platform? I'm particulary interested in RabbitMQ, but I'd
 > like to know whether having a stable Erlang/OTP generic application on
 > Vista/64bit is dream or reality.

A 32-bit Windows version should work fine running in Wow64 mode.

A native 64-bit Windows version of Erlang/OTP was not possible
last time I checked (late last year). The problem is Microsoft's
decision to make the C 'long' type 32 bits although pointers are
64 bits. Fixing this is easy in principle (use uintptr_t), but
requires a lot of tedious work and rigorous testing, so I suspect
it will take a while before that happens.

Perhaps run a 64-bit Linux/Unix version in a VMM on Vista/x64 instead?