[erlang-questions] HTTP requests and the meaning of eaddrinuse

Oscar Hellström oscar@REDACTED
Fri Jan 30 19:21:16 CET 2009

Sverker Eriksson wrote:
> Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> Sverker Eriksson wrote:

>>> The internal TIME_WAIT state of the TCP protocol may cause exhaustion
>>> of port numbers even though the file descriptor limit is much lower
>>> than 65536. Use the netstat command tool to view lingering
>>> connections in TIME_WAIT state.
>>>
>> True, if the connections aren't closed properly.
>>
> Actually, kind of the opposite. The peer that actively closes the
> connection by calling close() will cause its "socket" into TIME_WAIT.
> It's like a quarantine to avoid late arriving packets of the old
> connection from being confused with a new connection using the same
> port. A major flaw of TCP if you ask me.

And I case of put, the inets HTTP client will close the connection after
the response is received, since it is mixing up pipelining and keep
alive []. We have seen this during load tests of our systems, in which
case we implemented interface pools to get around the problem.