[erlang-questions] HTTP requests and the meaning of eaddrinuse

Oscar Hellström oscar@REDACTED
Fri Jan 30 12:48:32 CET 2009

The error means that you've exhausted all available ports on a network
interface.

On Linux, an application without root privileges can only use ports >
1024, and up to 65535. This means that if you have 64511 open TCP
connections, it's impossible to open a new outgoing connection. On
windows I don't know how many sockets a user process can actually use,
but I guess there is some kind of setting for this. Other applications
using the network interface of course also affects this, since the ports
are not unique per process.