[erlang-questions] Multiple dialyzer PLTs?

Michael Radford mrad-direct-erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jan 22 23:34:25 CET 2009

Kostis Sagonas writes:
> Michael Radford wrote:
> >I'm wondering how difficult (or even possible) it would be for dialyzer
> >to support either reading multiple PLT files at startup, or a way to
> >merge multiple PLT files that were produced separately.
>
> Reading multiple PLT files at startup and merging the information in
> them is possible, but the end result is not as good as you would expect
> it to be whenever there are dependencies between functions in the
> different PLTs.  To do a good job one needs to essentially re-analyze
> the code of these functions/modules.

That's pretty much what I figured; but even an incomplete analysis that
included other libraries would be an improvement over our current
situation where we ignore them.

Of course I understand that from a correctness standpoint, it would be
even better to analyze the entire codebase together.  But with many
libraries that are constantly being upgraded, I don't think it will fly
to require all the developers to wait for dialyzer to run after every
package installation.

Could you offer any pointers on where to start if I were to try to
implement reading multiple PLT files?

Thanks for your help (and for a great tool),

Mike