[erlang-questions] Finding a way to get function name from local function reference

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Thu Jan 22 10:19:03 CET 2009

Hi Sergey,

Then... <phew!> I am pleased to have helped :)

Coming from Java I too was used to a large measure of reflection
support. I think that perhaps it's inherent in the  compilation/bytecode
of erlang that there's limits on this. e.g. to get full debugging info
in erlang you must have a compiler switch set that saves abstract code
with the Beam format.

For most purposes this "limitation" will be of no conseqence, of course,
and I actually view this as an advantage, since it means that there is
greater commercial protection for redistributed, compiled code (You can
even protect the abstract code you save in the beam (the compile:file
encrypt_debug_info option).

This, of course, is one rather small advantage amongst a veritable
universe of advantages that Erlang has over Java et al.

/s