[erlang-questions] Comet server broadcasting messages to 40k clients

Bernard Duggan bernie@REDACTED
Wed Jan 21 05:52:42 CET 2009

Hi Adriano,

My first suggestion would be to check that you're using kernel polling
(do you start erl with "+K true"?  You should see the string
"[kernel-poll:true]" in the version line).  If not, that's probably a
significant part of it, since for every packet that comes in the VM will
be iterating over all 40k sockets to figure out which one it came from
before the message even arrives at your code.

Also, be aware that using the -- operator on a big list can be a very
expensive operation (there was a thread about it last week, in fact), so
using it to remove a single socket from a list that big could be a
significant cost.

Finally, I'd suggest that, if you haven't already tried it, you spawn a
separate thread (process, in erlang parlance) to handle each connection
rather than trying to deal with them all in one thread.  While I don't
think this is going to improve your performance here, it makes your code
simpler and easier to follow.  Remember, erlang processes are not like C
threads - they're cheap, plentiful and carry a much lower switching
overhead.  This would involve a little more work for your case since you
want to broadcast to everyone based on a signal from anyone, but it is
more in keeping with "The Erlang Way(tm)".  (Actual followers of The
Erlang Way are of course free to correct my views...).

Cheers,

Bernard