[erlang-questions] gen_server mailbox scans

Ben Hood 0x6e6562@REDACTED
Wed Jan 14 17:03:17 CET 2009

Hi,

The issue of excessive mailbox scanning during the bottom half of a
gen_server call has been brought up at various stages on this list.

The issue has become of some concern to us, so we have patched the
gen_server implementation from R11B5 to drain the mailbox in the loop.

It seems to do the job but I just wanted to get some feedback from
more knowledgable people before this functionality is merged into our
main source tree.

The patched version is available here:

http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server/file/06b16fb29a1c/src/gen_server2.erl

Any remarks or help is appreciated,