[erlang-questions] Included Applications and application:get_application/0

Bernard Duggan bernie@REDACTED
Tue Jan 13 09:44:38 CET 2009

Hi Litao,
	I do get what you mean, and I figured that that might have been the
case (thanks, though, for quoting the docs for me - I did manage to miss
that third sentence, which makes it clear that it's intended behaviour
and not a bug).  It does raise the question, however, of handling
configuration.  It seems like, under the current system, configuration
that I put in the included app's .app file will not be retrieved if I
call application:get_env/1.  Instead I have to explicitly call
application:get_env/2 with the application name.  This means that any
code which is shared between apps in my system but which relies on
per-app configuration needs to have the app name explicitly passed down
from code that is specific to the given app.  Additionally, even code
specific to the app needs to hard-code the application name every time
it gets a config parameter.  In other words, there's no neat way to
override a configuration parameter in an included app's configuration,
since it's not actually that app's configuration...kind of.
	I know that's a bit rambling, but hopefully you can see what I'm
getting at: the configuration given for an included app in it's .app,
sys.config or a specified .config file isn't easily reachable without
hard-coding the included app's name throughout the code.
	Perhaps someone can suggest a tidy workaround for this?  I've been
pondering it most of the day and haven't really come up with anything
satisfactory.

Cheers,

Bernard