[erlang-questions] : : : : : driver_entry stop() and driver_async() interaction

Chris Newcombe chris.newcombe@REDACTED
Sat Jan 10 20:18:07 CET 2009

> Sounds a bit hackish, but why not; drivers tend to be hackish.

Thanks!

> An even hackier hack would be to use the I/O queue for this,
> and that even works today.

I've never used the I/O queue so I don't know much about it.  IIRC
(from looking at the docs a couple of years ago), I got the impression
that it is an 'earlier' driver API.  But maybe I just haven't
encountered the right use-case.

EDTK uses binaries via outputv and driver_send_term, to minimize
copying.  As the BerkeleyDB driver is often used to transfer a _lot_
of data, this is important.

> Was not this (later in the same mail from me) enough?
> :
>> Raimo wrote:
>> > While we are at it we plan to introduce a driver flag
>> > indicating that the driver wants to be called on
>> > flush() if there are pending async jobs (as well as
>> > today if the IO queue is not empty).

Ah, very sorry -- yes I somehow missed this part of your e-mail.

So all I need (for EDTK) would be the API increment and decrement the
'async operation count'.
(I'd really prefer to avoid (mis)using the I/O queue for that)

many thanks,

Chris