[erlang-questions] [ANN] mod_erlang_event for FreeSWITCH

Andrew Thompson andrew@REDACTED
Fri Jan 9 20:10:08 CET 2009

Hi,

Today, I'd like to offically announce mod_erlang_event for FreeSWITCH, a
way to allow FreeSWITCH to participate in an Erlang node cluster. You
can send it requests, it responds, you can configure it to make requests
to other nodes, etc. This lets you control mosts aspects of FreeSWITCH,
an open source class-5 softswitch, from Erlang in native Erlang terms.

Unlike mod_event_socket, the module that mod_erlang_event is modeled on,
mod_erlang_event intelligently routes events/replies/requests to the
correct erlang process on the correct node, so you don't have to spend
time determining what process a particular reply or request should go
to. Also, everything is returned in erlang's term format too, so parsing
is trivial.

Additionally, I also added the ability to 'bind' config lookups to allow
you to indicate a particular process should be asked for certain classes
of FreeSWITCH configuration (eg. dialplan, SIP configurations, etc).
This allows you to route calls by querying an erlang process for routing
information, allow/deny sip registrations from an erlang process, etc.

Here's the page on the FreeSWITCH wiki for more information:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_erlang_event

As of FreeSWITCH 1.0.2, mod_erlang_event is part of the official
releases. If anyone has any problems or questions, I'm happy to help.
I'll be making an announcement about the project I wrote this module for
later today, which is also going to be open source.

Andrew