[erlang-questions] Erlang FFI

Alceste Scalas alceste@REDACTED
Thu Jan 8 13:36:02 CET 2009

John Hughes <john.hughes@REDACTED> wrote:
> What's the current status of EEP-007 (the Erlang FFI)? The most recent
> patches I've found are against R11B-5... are there patches that work with
> R12B?

I've not (yet) ported the FFI patches to R12B, for two reasons:

      1. the research project I'm working on (that depends on the FFI) could
         go ahead with R11B-5, and we are not (yet) planning to switch
         to R12B (but this *could* change in the next weeks);
      2. EEP 7 has not been discussed by the OTP team yet.

During the 2008 Erlang User Conference, the FFI (or loadable BIFs) was
described as a "tentative goal" for OTP R13B (planned for April 2009) [1].  It
*could* be possible to reimplemented the current FFI proposal on top of
loadable BIFs (maybe losing some performance), but there are several details
to consider (mostly related to DLL handling).

If an R12B/R13B port of the FFI patches becomes a requirement for EEP 7
to be accepted, maybe my research project could switch to R12B/R13B sooner
(and I could work on the patches again).

Regards,

alceste

Notes:

     [1] See http://www.erlang.se/euc/08/ErlangOTPNews2.pdf