[erlang-questions] spawn_link

Oscar Hellström oscar@REDACTED
Mon Jan 5 17:36:52 CET 2009

Hi,

Another side note embedded.

David Budworth wrote:
> quick side note.  while John's answer is correct.  I think that
> Thilani is trying to spawn a short lived process that creates a socket
> connection.
>
> problem with that is that when the call (connect_to_server) returns,
> the process will exit and the socket will close since the socket lives
> and dies with the process calling gen_tcp:connect(...)
>
> you could hand control over to another process to keep this from
> happening, but this code is clearly not doing so.
> the function is:
> gen_tcp:controlling_process(Socket, NewSocketOwnerPid)
>
> but from a client perspective, this kind of defeats the purpose.
>
> what you really want to do is have the gen server initiate the
> connection itself (from the init method most likely).
Be careful with doing too much work (or at least calling blocking
functions) in the init function of any worker since the supervisor is
blocked until the child returns. If the supervisor is starting a lot of
dynamic children this will become a bottleneck. Connecting a TCP socket
can typically take a long time and will then stop any other child from
being started until the connection has been made.